Monday, May 28, 2012

Stu-Stu-Studio....

I know. It's been a few weeks. I HAVE A 2 MONTH OLD. Well....almost 3 month old....but still, it's hard to find time to blog. BUT due to having new assistants, who are an EPIC help with the baby, I shall make it my goal to blog every Thursday from now on, so be sure to keep a lookout!

As you may or may not know, I have been converting my tiny, TINY, back bathroom into a home studio, to do work in. So far it is coming along VERY nicely. I wanted it to be removable, since we rent, so I got pretty creative.

I ordered an acoustic foam kit on Amazon, along with some adhesive that can be easily peeled from the wall, so its not a super hassel when we move. The foam covered the whole front area, and most of the sides, I decided I only needed to dampen the sound a bit more, so I hung curtain rod along the back wall, and hung a moving blanket from there. I got a very nice USB mic, so I can plug right into my trusty airbook...heck I can even blog AND record at the same time, though it may be difficult, sort of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head.

Where I had to get creative was covering the sink area, and the commode. For the sink, I enlisted the help of my ever talented Father in Law.  He made basically a wooden, upside-down box to nest over the entire vanity area, which will now act as a table to hold my mic stand, music stand, and laptop. It turned out pretty wicked, and very usable.

Next, the toilet. As hilarious as it may be to just use it as a chair in its original state, I needed something with a bit more height to match my newly raised countertop. Also, I don't sit much when I record, because I sound different, so the chair didn't need to be particularly comfortable or amazing. So, I got a wide-legged barstool, that sits directly over the ol' John. Simple, yet highly effective.

I'll post pics when it is entirely finished. Just a lil' more foam installation needed, and getting some carpet to cover the table and music stand. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way  its shaping up, and I expect to spend a great deal of my "free time," (need I remind you how little of that new moms get?). I'll even try to post some things I record in there when I get a minute...and get the help I need to figure out HOW to post recordings here...I'm not so much a techno-wizard.

My studio may not be perfect, but it's my place. To work, to play...to have some alone time. I love the way it's shaping up, and CANNOT wait to do some amazing work from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment