Monday, June 25, 2012

Of Demos and Memories....

Happy June everyone! June happens to be both the best AND the worst month, in my whole year. Well, maybe tied for best now, because Liam was born in March.... But I digress. We'll make a "emotional sandwich" with this....

June. Let's start with good!!

#1) June is the first month of Summer! Who doesn't love Summer!? I mean I'm super-pasty practically see-through white and I still love Summer....under a hat...dipped in a healthy coating of SPF 500...on an enclosed porch. But I love it none the less. Even though I no longer have "Summer Vacation" there is still something so fun and wonderful about the Summer months.

#2) THIS June marked my FIRST wedding anniversary. Man it's been a crazy first year, but I shit you not, my husband is THE best one. Really. If you disagree please type "James and Abby Wedding Flashmob" into YouTube, and you will see that I am right.

Now for the less than awesome part of June.

My dad died 18 years ago this June. 18 years. I barely feel OLDER than 18 sometimes, and yet I am old enough to remember something that happened 18 years ago, like it was yesterday. He had been sick for a while, and he died at 2am, 6/12/94. My mom got a phone call from the hospital, that it was over. She didn't wake us up...I remember getting myself some cereal and her walking in the room, telling my sister and I to come sit with her on the couch, and saying "God didn't want Daddy to suffer anymore." And I cried. And cried. And cried. I cried for a longtime, sometimes I still cry. But mostly? I smile. I smile because my dad was HILARIOUS, I smile because when money is really tight, a residual check comes in. I smile because my son looks just like him. And I smile because he would want me to.

And we'll finish the emo sandwich with a happy thought:

I'm getting a new Demo made! Chuck Duran is a great guy and I'm meeting with him on Tuesday before my VO workout group. A good demo is SUPER important, because it's how you get seen. If your demo sucks, you don't get work...I wanna work. Momma needs a new pair of shoes! Or twenty... Or just a massage and a pedicure.... But some spending cash, would be awesome. For now? I spend my cash on Demos. And on making my June a lil better every year :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment