Monday, May 7, 2012

BotCon Part 3: The Script Reading

"I'm not worthy." That was the thought going through my head during the introductions for this year's script reading. Gary Chalk, Buster Jones, David Kaye, Dan Gilvezan, and.... Me?! It just doesn't compute. It didn't compute last year either, when it was Gregg Berger, Morgan Lofting, Neil Ross, David Kaye, and, well, me again.

Honestly, this past year of perusing this elusive dream has been many things: overwhelming, disappointing, exhilarating, too fast, too slow, hopeful, random, and amazing... And I wouldn't change any of it.

This years script reading was a little bit different than last years. In two main ways, one: I actually knew what to expect! Last year, I was a BotCon n00b and had no idea what was going to happen. Luckily, in what I've learned is just the way people are at BotCon, everyone was warm, welcoming, and wonderful. The other, was that I played two very different characters. Which meant not mixing them up, and making sure they sounded different enough. You know, taking it one voice at a time. The different enough turned out to be pretty easy, when we did our run thru, the writers and I decided Texan would be fun for Road Rage, since after all, we were in TX!

Everything ended up going pretty smoothly...we had some technical difficulties with the mics, but powered through with out much other incident. The audience laughed at all the right parts :-). Afterward, I went and signed autographs for about 45 min. (it will never feel normal being asked for my autograph. Ever). Then I had to book it to catch our ride to the airport, and, sadly, back to reality.

What I came away with by the end of all of it, was that...I AM worthy. I can hold my own. Maybe I really am finally on the path I'm meant to be on. I have a family, who is beyond supportive, and I'm doing what I love to do. I am a mom now, and what better way to convince my little man to go after his dreams, than to pursue my own.

So that's what I'm doing. One day at a time, one audition at a time...one voice at a time.

2 comments:

  1. This made me laugh and weep at once. You have always been on your path, Abby, but now maybe it is winding your way. Yes, you are mighty worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO very happy for you Abby, doing scripts with the big-wigs, signing autographs, and all! It all sounds very exciting...with your talent and motivation, the possibilities are endless! Love seeing you do this blog :) xo-desi

    ReplyDelete