Monday, April 23, 2012

Packing for BotCon...with an infant.

For those of you who know me personally, you know I'm a bit of a last minute person (understatement). I am not so much the "plan ahead, pack the week before, make sure the tickets are printed," kind of gal. But now? I have an infant.

I've been packing in my head for two weeks now. I've been making check lists for one. What can you bring to make an infant happy on an airplane?! Nothing. Well my boob, but I don't really have to think about that. But he's at an age that is mostly for my entertainment. He is too young to have a favorite toy; he is too young to be distracted by a tv show or movie, and he's JUST this side of too OLD to guarantee he'll sleep the whole time. So I'll strap him in the front pack, and board the plane, with a wing and a prayer not to be "that mom" with a screaming baby (sorry Alison, if you're reading this. I know it may bring up recently traumatizing events).

Some things I AM sure I'll pack: his binky, his small cow blanket (thanks Great-Aunt Cass!) and a few thing unique to BotCon: his "Starscream's Grandson," and COBRA onsies. Also probably his batman outfit, and comic book Converse.... (man this kid never stood a CHANCE at NOT being a geekling)

With all this to think about I have barely had time to think about the REASON I am being flown out there. My dad. Chris Collins (Latta) is being inducted to the "Transformers Hall of Fame," and I am going to accept the award on his behalf....unless he decides to come out of witness protection, which is what my grief addled 8-year-old brain put him when he died. It's a huge honor. I have been trying to come up with the right words to thank his fans, but I feel like I keep coming up short... But, I'm gonna jot a few things down here, in case I forget when I step up and accept.

Thank you for loving my dad. He had a rough go sometimes, but at his core he was a good, hard working man, and an amazing father. I think he would be in shock if he were alive to see what Transformers has accomplished, and how iconic the voices he created have become. It makes me smile to know most of us grew up listening to his voices together, and being inspired by his work. So just thank you for the honor of accepting on his behalf, he is lucky to still have such amazing fans, nearly 20 years later.

My gratitude can't fit in a suitcase. But hopefully all these diapers will...

4 comments:

  1. I think you just said it all. <3<3<3 Love you pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    Okay, I tried typing this once before, so it may not come out as good the second time.

    I had no idea you would be going to BotCon. I don't know if you'll ever return to a future Botcon so I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to meet you. But either way I wanted to at least say this to you here... your father was definitely a memorable part of one of my favorite television shows growing up, and one of the voices I really liked out of that show.

    Actually, way, way back when, as a kid watching the show, one time I was watching an episode and elected to record some of the audio coming off the TV on a tape (I mean an audio cassette). It was some time after that, when I found this random tape and played it to figure out what was on it, that I was at first mystified since I couldn't tell what I was listening to. It was actually your father's voice saying something that made me go, "Oh, okay, this is some Transformers audio." :P

    I'm sorry that you experienced that loss at such an early age, and I think it's so awesome that they're asking you to accept his award for him. Anyway, thank you for sharing this, because it was wonderful to hear it.

    Won't be at Botcon (I've actually yet to make the trip but I've thought about it more and more in recent years) so I'll just say here that this is awesome and that your father (at least, the very limited thing I knew of him) was definitely great and memorable to me.

    I actually keep as a clip I share with friends the exchange where Megatron says, "You're either lying or you're stupid!" and he replies, "I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really means more to me than you know. I love hearing from my dad's fans. TF fans really are the best in the world!

      Delete
    2. Hey, I'm the person who sent that comment. I guess I don't know what to add other than to say it's really awesome you responded. Thanks!

      'Who disrupts my coronation!?'

      Delete